Saturday, November 10, 2007

counting hands

I traced A's right hand and left hand as templates and then made some counting hands. I did alternating colors to differentiate evens and odds up to 20. The left hands were blue and all odds, the right hands even oranges.
Activities: I laminated them so it would be easy to pull out of a bag one at a time for various activities. A can determine if a number is even or odd or put the numbers in order lowest to highest or highest to lowest. He can match 1-10 with the equivalent in 11-20, and we can use the hands in simple math problems.

Then I made another set to teach the concept of 10, 20, 30, 40, etc. I put number stickers on all the fingers and the ten set on the palm of the hand.
The project did require a lot of cutting for me (I still have a sore thumb from it), but we used the scraps for a fun collage project as well. It took several pieces before A realized they were cutouts of his hands. He was excited to see them in both forms.

No comments: